26 September 2008

The kitchen table

I found this essay as I was reading about family traditions today. This is one of the things my parents were pretty good at. We always had dinner together no matter what, there was not an option as long as you were in the state. You also had to make conversation at least once or you could not leave, sometimes this was really hard, but I have so many fond memories that somehow include the table. In fact, after the fire, my mom would not settle on any kitchen table except one that looked exactly the same as the old one. It is the only thing that is the same in their house now. What Marianne Jennings describes is what I am trying to create for my family. It may be a little long, but read it, it is worth it.

1 comment:

Nate said...

I would agree on the influence that spending time together around the table has on a family. We make fun of my parents haveing a boardroom table in their kitchen, but they got us all around it and we have many memories.
It is good to see your family as well. I wouldn't go so far as to say that people really miss us, but the thought is warming. We miss the many friends that we have to Tooele. We enjoy our simple life in a rural area. It is sad that we don't seem to get in to town very often and when we do we don't get to see people like we would enjoy.