25 July 2008

I got to climb again!!!!

I know this might be silly, but I think it is unfair for Matthew to leave me home for three days and two nights while he is off doing everything I love to do: camping, hiking, climbing. I just had to have a little fun. I could not pass this opportunity up (I am done with the whining now).

So this morning the girls and I snaked in on some of the Varsity Scout's climbing time. I love to rock climb and I have very little opportunity to go because I always have these children around (fast running water and unsupervised little ones is never a good combination). This was perfect. The scouts enjoyed playing with Mallorie and Lola because almost everything they say is so funny to those boys, I don't know why. Also we have not had a harness that would fit me (thank you very much three pregnancies), but it just so happens that most of our harnesses fit me now (thank you very much a little bit of exercise and not so much pigging out). I was scared today, almost like I was the first time. Once I got started it all came back to me and I was again amazed at what my body is capable of doing as long as I don't let my mind interfere. I am feeling it tonight though. It surprises me every time I go how much you use your hands for this and how weak mine are, they ache.

Mallorie took a turn and climbed higher than I have ever seen her go and would have continued on, but I was afraid she wouldn't be able to get back down. That girl is deceptively strong and flexible (and not to mention daring). Lola tried, but it is still very scary for her (she is a very cautious child, I am thankful for that, because neither of her sisters are). The harness did not fit Abby so she was left out of the fun, next year will be her year. Another good thing we found out is that the smallest climbing shoes we can buy are one size bigger than what Mallorie wears, I am guessing this is what she will be getting for her birthday.

Sorry no pictures. Climbing pictures are very unflattering anyway; just a bottom shot from down below with that silly looking harness on and no one wants to see that!

2 comments:

Bugs said...

How fun!!! It's fun to do things you haven't done for a while. You realize just how much you love doing something that's not being a mom. That's how I feel about basketball. And you are right about the climbing pictures!!

Stacee Maree said...

yeah thanks for sparing our eyes of that picture.