06 June 2008

Havard Commencement

I just read the commencement speach given by JK Rowling at Harvard last night and thought she did a pretty good job and some of her ideas are worth listening to. Here is a link where you can listen to, watch, or read her speach.

I especially liked what she had to say about failure:

"Failure gave me an inner security that I had never attained by passing examinations. Failure taught me things about myself that I could have learned no other way. I discovered that I had a strong will, and more discipline than I had suspected; I also found out that I had friends whose value was truly above rubies."

Like Rowling, I don't remember anything about the commencement speach from college, but I wish I had heard something like this then. Maybe I would have been better prepared for failures I experienced and not have been so devastated by some of them. Certainly I will make sure my children are better prepared for life than I was.

No comments: