20 April 2010

40 Bag Challenge

A few months ago just before Lent I participated in a discussion about what to give up. Of course I suggested that I would like to give up sweets knowing full well that I would fail after a few days, I know the weaknesses that I have that I am ready to work on and chocolate is not one of them. One of the women gave us a challenge she called The 40 Bag Challenge. In this we would commit to taking one bag of "stuff" out of our house each day of Lent until we had taken out 40 bags. I really wanted to do this, but my baby was just too small to start a project like that then, but I am ready now.

I started this weekend by going through our clothes and then I slimmed down our toys today. So far I am up to 9 1/2 bags of "stuff" and 1 1/2 bags of garbage, I don't mean the small grocery store bags, but the large outdoor garbage bags. I only kept a few toys that my children really play with; dolls, art supplies, dress up clothes, and a hopscotch. I am still on the fence about the Mr. Potato head toys. I really love that family of spuds, but my children only like them. Next will be the shoes and then onto my bedroom. I am saving my books for last in hopes that my 40 bags will be full or almost full before I get to them. How do I choose which ones to keep and which to not. It is too much for me to think about right now.

I have some pictures of what all of this stuff looks like, it is amazing because there is not a lot of difference in our house yet, except that I can now remember the color of the carpet in the girls' room (ugly orange) and why I wanted to forget it in the first place. I have 11 bags of stuff in my dining room that we don't need, I am amazed and embarrassed at the same time.

3 comments:

crazy walter 7 said...

That is awesome. You are a brave woman. I might try something like this on a little smaller scale. LOL

Emma said...

Today is the day lady. I am going to start this today. I am very excited. I think that I will be amazed at all of the things that my family can live without. : ) I know I can, I know I can!!! Ill call you later and let you know how it went. hugs.

Happy Herrons said...

Totally a good idea! I can see why you were excited that you are only keeping the toys your girls love, I wanted to do that too, but Josh kept saying the toys were 'too cute' to get rid of!