18 October 2009

The New Yorker Article

I read an article from the New Yorker that is about how parents and children are portrayed in modern picture books. They are weak and the children are in charge. I have seen this in many of the books we bring home from the library. I always knew that I would have to preview books when my children are older, but never thought that I would be previewing picture books. When I first read the article I laughed, but the more I thought about it the more it disturbs me.

Read it here: http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/atlarge/2009/10/19/091019crat_atlarge_zalewski

1 comment:

Happy Herrons said...

I COMPLETELY agree! It drives me crazy!! I am strict even on the TV shows they can watch (more Calliou - two parent stable family) less Max and Ruby (absent parents). CRAZY!!